Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Dangerously Determined Damsel

     So, I'm Kate, the one waiting for her knight in shining armor, and just between us, if said knight shows up without a white horse, he can head straight to the next damsel down the line.  I don't know what else you may have heard from whoever is spreading rumors about me, but allow me to set the record straight.  I am a damsel of foreign extraction - I was born in Canada - but my currently claimed hometown is Meridian, ID.  I am slogging through my fifth and final year as a History major here at BYU.  I am a fervent animal lover and I love long walks on the beach or anywhere else, for that matter, as long as it's outside.  I love to cook, read, horseback ride and travel if given half a chance.  Anymore information would make this seem like the longest speed-dating answer ever, so I will stop before making anyone else sick.
     Given that this whole shenanigan was started because of the combined VL status of apartment #9, perhaps I should enlighten you as to how I've gotten this far in life without a single kiss or even a single boyfriend. Trust me, if I knew, we wouldn't be here right now.  This would be one time in life where I'd welcome any comments from the peanut gallery.....Nothing....Okay, I will just have to keep waiting.  The thing is, waiting isn't exactly on my list of favorite pastimes.  The fact that I didn't include that in the list above should have a been an automatic tip-off, but let's not split hairs.
      Whatever, the reason for my VL status, it doesn't change the sad state of my life when sweet grandmotherly types approach me between meetings at church and kindly inform me that because I failed to do so myself, they've found my soul-mate for me, and he works at ShopKo.  Thanks, but no thanks.  You see, I've always been pretty much the antithesis of a damsel in distress and any unsolicited attempts to turn me into said damsel usually have the unsavory effect of turning me into an unflatteringly competitive female version of a male bison during the rut, butting head with anything that moves.  If I do need saving, it's from myself, because without any hope on the horizon of losing this pesky VL status, I will probably just keep charging forward, head down, horns at the ready and heaven help any poor men who happen to be in my path. The fact that the National Weather Service has yet to name a hurricane after me is of little significance. I've yet to master the role of docile female, and I believe that to be the root of my problem. However, all nasty storms blow themselves to oblivion eventually, so if there are any men out there brave and/or crazy enough to grab hold and hang on long enough to get to that point, I'm begging you to do so.  And soon!   
I'm Kate, and I'm a member of the VLC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment