Saturday, November 26, 2011

What to Do When Your Friends are Dropping Like Flies...

Well, y'all (I don't know why I said that because I'm not from Texas), we're still waiting for our dates from the Date-O-Matic-3000 to call, so we'll keep you updated on that. In the meantime, let me muse on a word called the "M" word...MARRIAGE.
I'm perfectly content to be single until I start getting outside pressure from supporters of the M word. Just this week at Thanksgiving, I overheard my cousin joking that another cousin was starting to become an old maid, and that my aunts have been desperately trying to set her up with eligible bachelors. Well, she's 24, folks...just a few months older than me.
Being around my relatives really pushes the M word in my face, because almost all of my cousins my age are married, and have been for a while. Which is cool...it works for them...but then it leaves all my aunts and uncles thinking, "What's wrong with that girl?"
And then there's the pressure that comes from living in Provo and going to BYU. It seems like every talk we hear at church and other meetings is about dating or some other form of the M word. They even trick us; I went to a fireside (Sunday night church meeting) where the speaker was advertised to be talking about "the effects of the media". Well, he talked about "the effects of the media on dating".
Then there's my friends. They're all jumping on the marriage bandwagon, and my fridge is plastered in wedding announcements. Over half of my former roommates are engaged or married.
So what's my problem? Am I a late bloomer? Have I not found the right guy yet (or, as my anti-soulmate professor would say, "a" right guy)? Does my breath smell bad?
To be determined, I suppose. But in the meantime I'll enjoy being single and not rush into anything that I would regret. And maybe buy some breath freshener.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I think the breath freshener would be a good idea ;) Actually, I just wanted you to know that the marriage pressure lessens significantly once you leave BYU (at least it has for me in Austin). Of course, then you run into the problem that my ward has of there being only three ward members to get married in the last year (and none of them to each other) . . . . Basically it's a lose-lose situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate how family members make us feel so bad about ourselves by trying to "help" us. Last 4th of July, my aunt kicked me off of a certain blanket at the fireworks show because it was the "married cousin" blanket. Seriously. I have a feeling that "a" right guy is just not around right now. And no, your breath doesn't smell.

    ReplyDelete